The latest from Bluesky.
Reaching 1 Million Users
September 12, 2023
by The Bluesky Team
Today, we reached over 1,000,000 users on Bluesky!
We’re grateful to the early users and developers who have helped us reach this point. Thank you for joining us early on this journey and helping test all aspects of the network before the open public launch. We’re excited for many more people to join soon.
Our current focus is on preparing to open up and getting the network to a state that can support many more users. This means improving moderation and curation on the network through increased staffing and tooling, scaling our infrastructure and federating the network to support this growth, and iterating on the user experience of the app. As always, if you have feedback you’d like to share with the team, you can find a submission form in the app under “Send feedback.”
Here’s a look back at some of our milestones over the last few months:
- Releasing a beta app for our protocol (January). We started inviting a handful of people to test out the Bluesky app. By February, we still only had a few hundred people.
- Launching custom domains as handles (March), allowing users to self-verify and own their username across the network.
- Launching custom feeds (May), which allows users to choose their own algorithmic timelines.
- Open sourcing the social app (May), providing transparency into development and opening the app to third-party contributions.
- Launching the federation sandbox (June). This is our testing environment for the federation architecture that gets us another step closer to launching federation.
- Announced our first paid service (July), allowing users to easily purchase and manage domains through Bluesky.
Thank you for being part of our journey, and we’re excited for many more milestones ahead!
If you’re still waiting for an invite code, sign up for the waitlist at https://bsky.app. To date, we've invited 1M users through the waitlist, and we currently have 2 to 3M more to send out. We email tens of thousands of invite codes weekly, and existing users receive invite codes periodically as well.
Are you a React Native expert? Have you written multiple mobile apps? Are you confident building animations, gestures, UI state managers, and everything in between? Then we want to hire you!